On May 5th, as a benefit for the Northwest Cultural Center and Children’s Theater, our Elliston House was included in the Historic Homes Tour featuring our hostel and private homes in the Northwest Portland neighborhood.
The Elliston, which was built sometime before 1889, was originally located in southwest Portland on SW Park and Alder streets. In its early history it was named “the Comstock” after the owners Martha P.J. Comstock and her husband Croesus. Martha came to Portland in 1845 by wagon train when she was 7 years old.
In 1907, Martha sold the house for $6,250 to Colonel Henry E. Dosch and that same year, Dosch decided to move the house to it’s current location on the corner of NW 18th Avenue and Glisan Street. The cost of moving the entire building was $400, covering the cost of “clipping the interfering wires” and “cutting the building in two parts to facilitate removal”. The house was moved across the city on skids by two oxen.
After Dosch owned the house, it became the Wayward Apartments in the 1910s and the Elliston Apartments in the 1920s. In the 198s, Rick Michaelson bought the Ellision, had it restored, and finally registered with the National Register of Historic Places.
Now the Elliston is one of four houses that comprise the HI-Northwest Portland Hostel and Guesthouse!
Special thanks to Catherine A. for researching the Elliston’s remarkable history!