John Steinbeck once said, “People don’t take trips, trips take people”. The most memorable trips are often rich with personal challenges, interesting people, and the chance to leave a positive impact on wherever you’ve been.
Travelers don’t often think of incorporating community service into their plans, but it can be a great way to meet locals, give back to the local community and now, with the Great Hostel Give Back, a way to stay for FREE in participating hostels (see below).
Throughout January and February 2013, groups of 10 or more can stay for free at a number of HI hostels in the USA while giving back to the community in some way. Here are the details:
- Commit to at least 2 hours of service in the local community during their trip for each night they plan to stay at the hostel for free.
- Commit to hosting an activity at the hostel to benefit other guests, such as a community meal or a presentation about their service experience.
- Have at least 10 members.
- Complete the on-line application form here.
Now you can travel with friends, save money, and do something to benefit others. Start planning your winter getaways now!
For more information or ideas about community service projects, contact the hostel in your destination city.
- HI-Los Angeles Santa Monica
- HI-Lucas Malabar Farm
- HI-New York
- HI-Portland Northwest
- HI-San Diego Downtown
- HI-San Francisco City Center
- HI-Washington DC